RISE : NYC projects use new technologies and solutions to protect New York City from the impacts of future storms, sea level rise and other effects of climate change. Eligible projects include technologies that strengthen building systems (such as electrical systems, heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems, plumbing, etc.) and infrastructure networks, including energy infrastructure (electric power, natural gas, steam and liquid fuels) and telecommunications networks (wired, wireless and data platforms). The RISE : NYC competition drives business recovery and resilience by funding the installation of selected technologies at Sandy-impacted small businesses across New York City.
To achieve the competition’s objectives, RISE : NYC identified technologies and solutions that are:
- Innovative and ready for deployment, and have the potential to significantly improve the resiliency of buildings or infrastructure networks
- Cost-effective and scalable solutions that are replicable within Target Areas impacted by Sandy, and in other vulnerable areas across the city
- Viable technologies and solutions with identified potential for market penetration
- Advanced solutions that can provide positive economic impacts such as retention or creation of jobs, particularly for low-moderate income individuals or in low-moderate income areas
- Leveraging additional permanent investment in buildings and infrastructure in the city